Tubing On The Dan River (Near Madison NC)
River Adventure Launch Points
Our river adventures start at the Dan River public accesses in Rockingham County.
- This section of the Dan River does not have any obstacles such as dams or waterfalls.
- For tubing, we shuttle you to the 704 Bridge and you float back to Dan River Campground and River Adventures private river access. Approximate distance is 3.5 miles, 2-4 hours depending on river conditions.
- For canoeing / kayaking, we shuttle you to Lindsey Bridge (also known as the Pine Hall brick yard) and you paddle back to Dan River Campground and River Adventures private river access. Approximate distance is 6 miles, 2-4 hours depending on river conditions.
- As the summer approaches September, in general, the river slows down and becomes shallower. This increases the length of time of your river adventure.
For tubing, we look at:
- River flow (discharge, cubic feet per second) which should be below 1000.
- Height (gage height, feet) should be below 4 feet.
- These parameters give you a nice easy float. If the discharge is too high (> 1000, then the river runs high (gage height) and the the ride is fast and could become dangerous.
- We reserve the right to not put you on the river depending on river conditions.
Information For Adventurous Tubers Who Put Themselves In At Lindsey Bridge or 704 Bridge Public River Access Points
- Lindsey Bridge to 704 Bridge – 2.5 miles, 1-2 hours for canoes / kayaks, 2-4 hours for tubing, Class l
- 704 Bridge to Settle Bridge – 8.5 miles, 3-5 hours for canoes / kayaks, 6-8 hours for tubing, Class l-ll
If you decide to use the Dan River public river accesses, you are not permitted to egress (i.e. get out of the river) the river at our private river access located on the Dan River Campground and River Adventure property. Our private river access is only for Dan River Campground campers or daily Dan River Adventure customers. Our property line goes down to the water, so if you get out of the water and are on our concrete river access, you are trespassing.
Definition of trespassing: An unlawful act committed on the person, property, or rights of another. A wrongful entry on real property (i.e. Dan River Campground and River Adventure is real property).
A private river access means;
- It is not open to the public.
- If you put yourself in at Lindsey Bridge or 704 Bridge you cannot get out at our private river access. Settle Bridge is your next public river access take out point.
- If you egress the river at our private river access, you are trespassing.
- Trespassers will be promptly removed from the premises (In other words, you will be escorted off our property or placed back into the river).
- If you are caught trespassing, you will be asked to leave the premises, if you refuse, we will call Rockingham County Uber (also known as the back of a police car) and have you removed by law enforcement. It is that simple. Trespassing is real and it is enforceable.